The object of the Society is to preserve and promote the history of Steveston, BC
Our Society has been in place since 1976 to preserve and promote the history of Steveston, British Columbia.
Beginnings of Steveston
Steveston is located on Lulu Island, one of the many islands of the Fraser River delta. Before European settlement, there were two Musqueam First Nations summer camps nearby.
In 1877 Manoah Steves came from New Brunswick and purchased 400 acres at 75 cents per acre. Manoah was soon joined by his wife Martha and their six children.
The Steves’ eldest son, William Herbert, bought land and created town lots, opened a post office, started a newspaper promoting the new community, and even built an opera house. The Town of Steves, or Steveston, was born.
Member Since: 2016